There are several reasons for stretch marks, especially in post-partum women. Stretch marks after pregnancy might appear in areas like breasts, hips, arms, thighs, and abdomen which are prone to fat storage. The skin darkens due to rapid weight loss or loss of elasticity.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Would it be possible to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy?
- 2 You can use the following tips to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.1 Oil Treatment to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.2 Aloe Vera to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.3 Honey to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.4 Egg White
- 2.5 Shea Butter Or Cocoa Butter to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.6 Sugar to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.7 Lemon Juice
- 2.8 Water
- 2.9 Apricot
- 2.10 Potato Juice
- 2.11 Turmeric And Sandalwood to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.12 Milk, Sugar, And Green Coconut Water
- 2.13 Alfalfa
- 2.14 Home-Made Moisturizer to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
- 2.15 Home-Made Lotion
- 2.16 Home-Made Cream
- 2.17 What Exercises Can You Do To Fight Stretch Marks After Pregnancy
- 3 How to remove stretch marks after pregnancy with medical treatment
Would it be possible to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy?
While stretch marks eventually fade away, they may never completely vanish. Some remedies may work to minimize their impact on the body. You may apply some lotions, oils, creams, and similar products to make your skin smooth and supple.
You can use the following tips to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
If you want to reduce the appearance of stretch marks after pregnancy, try a few home remedies.
Oil Treatment to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
The use of oils on the affected areas helps to eliminate stretch marks after pregnancy and smooth out your skin. Various oils include:
Exfoliating your skin with olive oil moistens it and enhances blood circulation, which helps to remove stretch marks after pregnancy. (1)
- You can gently massage the affected area with the oil in your hands.
- Make sure to massage it for 30 minutes so that its Vitamin A, D, and E are absorbed.
- After the massage, relax in a hot bath.
- When you follow it regularly, it can give you results, albeit it is a time-consuming process.
- Also, and this is the best way to eliminate eczema, you can use a mixture of olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Apply it at night and eczema will go away.
Vitamin E Oil
- From vitamin E capsules, you can extract the oil.
- Use your favorite moisturizing cream to mix with your stretch marks.
- If you use it frequently, it removes the stretch marks after pregnancy from the skin effectively.
- Stretch marks respond best if castor oil is massaged for at least five minutes in a circular motion.
- Heat can penetrate the pores, warm them up, and allow the oil to penetrate more deeply into the pores. To do this, you can use a hot water bottle on the oily skin; it can be used for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- It is recommended that you repeat the process every day until the result is seen.
A mixture of varied oils can be used to massage the region and can be used in applications other than massage. Almond, avocado, castor, and sesame oils can also be used to massage the skin.
A treatment utilizing essential oils
- Almond, sesame, and coconut oils are the best natural oils.
- The following essential oils may also be added if you wish: geranium, rose, lavender, minerh, and helichrysum.
- It will help with eliminating stretch marks after pregnancy quickly if you apply this mixture for 30 minutes on each stretch mark.
Aloe Vera to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
Use fresh aloe vera gel rather than the one available on the market. Your skin will be soothed and the healing process will take place faster.
- It should be applied directly to the affected areas, left on for 15 minutes, and then washed off with lukewarm water. Effective if applied regularly.
- Another way of getting rid of wrinkles is to massage the skin until it is fully absorbed with aloe vera gel and oil from 5 to 10 vitamin A and E capsules. Apply it twice a day.
Honey to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
Stretch marks after pregnancy can be reduced by honey’s antiseptic properties.
- Put honey on the cloth and gently rub it.
- Do not remove the cloth until the wound heals.
- Use warm water to rinse off.
- To get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy, mix honey with salt and glycerin and apply it to them. Let it dry for a few minutes then rinse off.
A diet rich in egg whites increases the skin’s resilience and leaves it looking young and supple.
- Use a fork to beat two egg whites.
- Apply egg white in a thick layer with a makeup brush and cover the affected area with water.
- It is generally advisable to let it dry before using cold water to rinse it off.
- Keep the skin moisturized and supple by applying olive oil.
- It improves your skin tone and your marks fade slowly. Perform this action every day for at least two weeks.
Shea Butter Or Cocoa Butter to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
Cocoa butter and shea butter are commonly used in skincare treatments similarly to oils and are a key component in body lotions and creams.
Use shea or cocoa butter to remove stretch marks regularly. Rinse after a while.
Cocoa butter is a wonderful moisturizer and helps nourish your skin. It improves the texture of your skin and prevents dryness.
Read Also: Is It Advisable To Wear a Maternity Bra?
Sugar to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
When you exfoliate your skin with sugar, your stretch marks turn lighter, you’ll get rid of all your dead cell growth.
- A tablespoon of sugar, a few drops of lemon juice, and a few drops of almond oil will help you make a sugar cake.
- Put this on your skin before showering.
- You should repeat this every day for one month.
Lemon juice reduces stretch marks thanks to its acidity.
- On the affected area, rub fresh lemon juice.
- The juice should absorb into your skin after about 10 minutes.
- Use warm water to rinse off.
- Improve your results by applying every day.
- If you are unable to eliminate the stretch marks, you can make a mixture of cucumber and lemon juice in equal proportions.
Discover: Back Pain In Pregnancy: How To Avoid It?
You should drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water every day to prevent stretch marks after pregnancy and other skin conditions. It keeps your skin supple and allows it to restore its elasticity. Do not consume tea, coffee, or soda as these are dehydrating agents.
- To prepare the fruit, deseed it and cut it into small pieces.
- To make a paste, blend the fruit until smooth.
- Stretch marks should be applied for 15 to 20 minutes.
- You should repeat the procedure with lukewarm water afterward.
Several carotenoid and phytochemical compounds are found in potatoes, which help provide smooth skin.
- Take a potato and cut it in half and rub the potato half over the stretch marks.
- To dry the skin, allow the juice to soak in.
- Finally, lukewarm water should be used to rinse the skin.
- A few months later, you’ll be able to tell the difference.
- Potato pulp or juice can also be used.
Read Also: How breasts change during pregnancy
Turmeric And Sandalwood to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
The benefits they provide include brighter, smoother, and even skin texture.
- Rub a sandalwood stick in a bit of water to make one spoon of sandalwood paste.
- Smoothly grind fresh turmeric root into a paste.
- Apply the mixture on the skin in equal parts.
- Scrub your skin until everything comes off and then let it dry almost to 60%.
- Repetition is necessary to see improvement for at least six months.
Milk, Sugar, And Green Coconut Water
In addition to removing stretch marks after the birth of the baby, scrubs are effective in accelerating skin regeneration.
- You can also add a few drops of cucumber and lemon juices with two spoons of raw milk.
- Work the scrub in a circular motion for 5-10 minutes on the stretch marks.
- Pat the area with a towel to dry off. Rinse off with water.
- If you have too much coconut water, pour it on your skin and allow the excess moisture to dry until you feel the stretch.
- Afterward, apply aloe water or shea butter.
- Put a moisturizer on the area after rinsing it off.
- This remedy can be used twice weekly to lighten and remove marks on the skin.
- Do not repeat more than three times per week.
Its antifungal property cleanses the skin and heals stretch marks. Alfalfa leaves contain essential amino acids and vitamins E and K.
- The powder and some drops of chamomile oil should be mixed to make a smooth paste.
- Massaging it into the stretch marks is the best way to get rid of them.
- Stretch marks usually disappear within a week after you apply them twice or three times a day.
- You can find alfalfa powder at food stores.
Home-Made Moisturizer to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
Your skin type determines the best moisturizer to use. If your skin has issues with dryness, you need cocoa butter; if it has issues with oiliness, you require aloe vera cream or a clay moisturizer.
- You can use olive oil in equal proportions with aloe vera gel and wheat germ oil.
- If you have dry or combination skin, you can use this product as a moisturizer.
- This mixture can be diluted with clay if you have an oily skin type.
- Half cup extra virgin olive oil and quarter cup aloe vera gel.
- Extract oil from six to four vitamin A and six vitamin E capsules.
- Then take all the ingredients, mix them, and put them in a glass jar.
- Stretch marks can be removed daily using the natural stretch marks removal lotion.
- One tablespoon of vitamin E oil, two tablespoons of cocoa butter, and two teaspoons of grated beeswax.
- Besides coconut oil, you can use apricot kernel oil and wheat germ oil.
- Add the wax to the boiling mixture and heat it until it melts.
- Keep the contents of the bottle and refrigerator refrigerated.
- Every day, you can get the most out of it.
What Exercises Can You Do To Fight Stretch Marks After Pregnancy
Having muscle exercises around any stretch marks offers enhanced results in reducing them. Tone the skin and help regenerate the tissues. It tightens loose skin and helps decrease stretch marks. Working out with a balanced diet leads to improved results with stretch marks.
Swimming And Contrast Showers
You can achieve significant results by alternating between a hot and a cold shower to improve microcirculation in the subcutaneous tissues. (2)
How to remove stretch marks after pregnancy with medical treatment
Natural remedies recommended by doctors are better than conventional medical treatment if you are breastfeeding. However, these can be problematic if you are not carefully monitored and guided by a qualified dermatologist.
Chemical peels, commonly called derma peeling or chemical exfoliation, involve the application of a chemical solution to the stretch marks, which results in blister formation. Afterward, the blistered skin is peeled off in preparation for wound healing.
Aside from this, this treatment may cause pigmentation imbalance and scarring in some patients (especially those with herpes).
It involves removing, heating, and vaporizing affected tissues, and breaking them down, to enhance new cell production. Laser therapy is a widely used and proven treatment for stretch marks removal. According to Oprah Magazine, there are two costly options of laser therapies; the other is fractional non-ablative laser therapy that also eliminates stretch marks and improves skin texture. These treatments offer permanent stretch mark removal. However, they are expensive.
Glycolic acid is available as a liquid or a tablet in every drug store. Consult your doctor before taking alpha hydroxy acid pills to see if they are right for you. It produces collagen, making the skin more elastic and less noticeable stretch marks. (3)
Depending on whether you are breastfeeding or not, your dermatologist may prescribe you tretinoin cream. You can use it by itself or in combination with other creams.
Moreover, the stretch marks reduced in size by 24% and in width by 8% after applying 0.1% tretinoin cream (4). Furthermore, the stretch marks decreased in weight by 20%, which is considered good for reducing growth during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Skin Regeneration Activators
Good quality creams for stretch mark removal are available. The smooth and tone the skin and also gradually remove the red or silvery appearance. Most of the products contain cocoa butter and vitamin E along with some other organic ingredients.
Several ingredients may be contained in an anti-stretch marks cream, such as:
Retinol: A 20% concentration of retinol is used in each anti-stretch cream because it hydrates and regenerates the skin tissues.
Collagen and elastin: Proteins like these promote skin regeneration and elasticity.
Jojoba oil and shea butter: It improves your skin blood circulation since they are both used in good anti-stretch creams.
Vitamins and amino acids: Rapid skin regeneration depends on the presence of these factors.
Essential oils: Skin with these treatments gains elasticity and decreases its metabolic weight.
The products marketed in this way are convenient to use, easy to get, and usually cost less than $20. However, they are not safe for use during lactation and can cause skin discoloration.
Surgery to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy
Surgical procedures like dermabrasion do not work well on stretch marks. It involves removing layers of skin so that it regenerates, resulting in scarring that lasts longer and looks worse compared with stretch marks. There are also additional risks involved with this procedure.
While stretch marks remain even after many tests and trials, it is okay. It will fade with time and proper care. In the meantime, it can be a sweet reminder of your pregnancy.
What worked for your stretch marks removal? If you have tried any of these remedies, share your experiences in the comment section below.