Kids Bedtime Short Stories#1
Adaptation of the fable of Godofredo Daireaux
One springtime morning all the members of a herd awoke with a start to loud, dry noises coming from outside the shelter. They crowded out to notice what was going on and found a fight in which two rams holding face to face were battling their hard antlers.
A curious little lamb who was an aficionado of the scandal was the first to find out why and ran to tell the group. According to their sources, who were completely reliable, they were discussing the love of a very cute sheep that had stolen their hearts.
- Clearly, she is enamored of both, and as she did not understand which one to choose, last night she announced that she would wed the strongest. You can visualize the rest of the story: the rams found out, they lingered to challenge each other before dawn, and… well, there you have the friends, now competitors, clasped in battle.
The head of the herd, a sophisticated and sensible ram that no one dared to doubt, shouted:
- Calm down! It is just one of the many romantic encounters that take place every year on this farm. Yes, they battle over a girl, but we already recognize that they don’t hurt each other and whoever succeeds will remain colleagues. We will wait to view the result!
Those present breathed easy when they identified that it was only a couple of young lovers struggling for a very white sheep; a little sheep who, by the way, was seeing everything with a heavy heart and holding her breath. Who would be successful? Who would become her future husband?… The die was cast!
This was the circumstances when a multicolored rooster that no one had seen before sneaked into the crowd and sat in the front line as if it were a guest of honor. He had never seen a fight between rams, but as he thought he was the most intelligent guy in the world and loved being the center of consciousness, he started to show his verdict at the top of his voice, showing very rudeness.
- Oh mom, what a fight birria! … These rams are more awkward than a flock of elephants in a china shop!
Quickly there were murmurs of anger from the audience, but he played stubbornly and proceeded to make irritating and inapt comments.
- They speak around here that it is a fight between gentlemen, but the fact is that I only see two comedians doing stupid things! … Hey, smart up kids, you’re old enough to make a clown of yourself!
The murmurs became louder and some looked at him to see if he took it for granted and shut his mouth; again, he overlooked it and resumed his severe criticism.
- Although the ram on the right is a bit more active, the one on the left has bigger horns… I think the sheep should wed that one so that their children are born healthy and strong!
The viewers gazed at him in surprise. How could you be so rude?
- Although to be fair, I do not realize that promise to marry her. It looks to me that the sheep in question are not so bad!
The rams, ewes, and lambs fell quiet and there was an uncanny silence. Their faces of insult spoke for themselves. The clan chief thought that he had clearly crossed the line. On behalf of the community, he took the stage.
- A little respect, please!… Don’t you understand how to behave ?!
Me? What if I understand how to behave?… I’m just saying the truth! That sheep is equal to the others, neither uglier, nor more beautiful, nor whiter… I don’t understand why they waste time-fighting for it, there are so many to choose from!
- Shut up silly, it’s good to say rubbish!
The rooster made a shocked face and replied with arrogance:
- Shut up ?!… Because you say so!
The chief tried not to lose his rage. For nothing in the world did he want tempers to warm up and a tremendous row would rise.
- Let’s witness, let’s both calm down a little. You come from far away, correct?
- Yes, I’m a visitor, I’m traveling. I was coming along the dirt trail that circles the wheat field and as I crossed the barrier I heard a disturbance and I got in to survey.
- I realize then that because you live in other lands it is the first time that you are in a group of individuals of our kinds… Am I wrong?
The rooster, confused, responded:
- No, you’re not mistaken, but … what does that have to do with it?
- I’ll describe it precisely: you have no right to intervene in our community and create fun of our behavior for the mere judgment that you don’t know us.
But I just like to say what I believe!
- Okay, that’s very generous and of course, it’s acceptable, but before presenting your conclusion you should understand how we are and what is our way of describing.
Oh yeah? And what is it, if you can describe?
Well, an example is what you just observed. In our species, as in many others, encounters between males of the same herd are popular during the mating season because that is when it is time to choose a partner. We are friendly animals with a very good reputation, but this ceremony is part of our way of being, of our nature.
- There is no but that is worth it! You must realize that for us these actions are totally normal. We cannot fight against thousands of years of development and that must be appreciated!
The rooster began to feel the heat that embarrassment displayed on his face. So that no one would see the blush, he grounded his head and looked at the ground.
- You will understand a lot about roosters, chicks, hens, nests, and eggs, but you have no idea about the rest. Go with yours and let us solve things our way!
The rooster had to accept that he had been rude and above all hard, so if he didn’t desire to go wrong he had to move as soon as possible. He took one last glance at the rams, who were still doing their thing, struggling for the love of the same female, and without even announcing goodbye, he vanished, never to return.
We all have the freedom to display our thoughts freely, of course, we do, but when it comes to giving our judgment it is essential to do so sensibly. One should not conclude things that he does not understand, much less if it is to hurt or hate others.
If you want to read more stories like “The Rams and the Rooster” then visit our Kids Stories category. Published By Kidsrush.com
You May Like Also: 3 easy ways to prepare banana baby food