The ear infection is one of the reasons why more children attend pediatric visits and emergencies because although this condition can affect us at any point in our lives, is particularly common in childhood. The otitis media is the most common type of infection, a condition that causes pain, malaise, and fever in some cases, significantly affecting the welfare of the patient. If you want to know how to cure an ear infection, keep reading because at Kidsrush.com we explain it to you.
Table Of Contents
Steps to follow to cure an ear infection in children
Ear infections are common during childhood especially because the ear’s own children, with Eustachian tubes to become blocked more easily, increasing the chance of developing infections and discomfort. But other factors are triggers, for example:
- Take the bottle or be in the process of teething.
- Suffering from allergies.
- Being exposed to an environment where there is frequent cigarette smoke.
- Go to a nursery, as this is a perfect environment for the spread of diseases that weaken the immune system and make it more prone to infections.
- Changes in the weather, especially if the temperature is low.
- Having a weakened immune system due to the recent flu or illness.
- Having previously suffered from ear infections.
Although they can be very annoying, ear infections are a minor medical problem, only if the symptoms are too severe or that the infections occur very frequently will it be necessary to resort to other types of treatments always suggested by a specialist according to the case of each patient.
Ear infections tend to heal on their own, so we just have to take some steps to reduce discomfort and pain until it passes.
Use of warm water compresses to cure an ear infection
Placing warm water compresses on the affected ear for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day will help decrease the pain caused by an ear infection. It is important that once the compress begins to cool, we warm it again so that the patient can feel relief.
Use of counter pain relievers to cure an ear infection
Over-the-counter pain relievers are available at the drugstore to reduce infection-related earache. These are drops that are applied directly to the area several times a day and can significantly reduce discomfort. It is recommended to purchase them if you are looking for more effective relief.
Home remedies to cure an ear infection
To cure an ear infection, you can also use some natural solutions that will help improve this condition. It is important to be patient as the pain will gradually decrease. as days go by.
The intake of antibiotics is not recommended unless they are prescribed by a doctor. Since ear infections can also be caused by viruses. In this case, antibiotics will not be able to fight it.
Consult your doctor to cure an ear infection in children
Although ear infections are a minor medical problem, there are some cases in which it is advisable to consult a doctor urgently, for example:
- In the case of children under 6 months with symptoms of earache.
- If the child complains of very intense pain or has a great weakness.
- If you notice swelling and redness around the ear or a worsening of symptoms.
- When fever and severe pain persist for 48 hours or more.
- If the pain disappears suddenly, as it may be a sign that the eardrum has ruptured.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cure an ear infection, we recommend that you enter our category of Kids Health.