Nowadays, massage is recommended for babies because it helps them develop both physically and emotionally. Furthermore, it promotes the bond between the child and the parents.
Sometimes we all have to get rid of accumulated stress, and babies are no exception. A really nice massage for babies can work wonders, but you need to know which types are best suited.
Massage for babies is highly recommended today. Thanks to massage, children, and babies can feel relaxed and loved by their parents. Furthermore, they develop a stronger bond with each other.
What is a massage for babies?
A massage is a natural tool that has been used since time immemorial to heal the pain. It is mainly performed with skin contact, but many cultures also emphasize the importance of breathing and having the right thoughts.
Massage for babies or children is a technique that the mother and father can use to convey affection and tenderness to the little one. During this process, the child experiences a feeling of physical and emotional well-being.
Types of massage for babies
From the moment the baby arrives in the world, it must be close to its mother to get warmth and touch. For this reason, it is important to include this technique from birth and during baby development. Doing so will meet some of its needs.
Next, we will show you several types of massages for babies that you can perform.
Stimulating massage for babies
Massaging the baby’s limbs from birth is a good way to promote good motor development. You can do this with a specific and simple massage.
- For the massage to be effective, place the baby on its back in a bed or other comfortable place.
- Make clockwise movements with your hands on the joints of your arms and legs. Be sure to be very careful.
- The mother or father must be also comfortable. If you want, you can play quiet music in the background.
Massage to relieve gas
It is common for babies to swallow air when breastfeeding or bottle-feeding. The air they swallow turns into gases that can be difficult to get rid of. This can lead to great discomfort so that they can not sleep.
When this happens, you can give them a little massage.
- Lay the baby face up and place the palms over its navel.
- Then move your hands up and down a little at a time. This message will make it easier to get the gases out.
Massage for babies with colic
Like gas, it is common for babies to experience a condition called colic. This is a contraction of the muscles that surround the intestines and is produced by the baby’s body. When this happens, it usually starts to cry due to the discomfort.
- To relieve it, you can place the baby on its back with its hands on its stomach.
- Then make small movements clockwise.
- You can also use baby oil or cream to make your hands glide better.
Massage to relieve constipation
Some babies sometimes show signs of constipation from a young age, especially if they eat milk replacer instead of breast milk. If this is the case for your child, you can help it by using the following massage.
- Place the baby on its back in the bed or on the changing table.
- Pour some warm oil in your hand and gently massage your stomach from one side to the other.
- The massage should be centered on the lower part of the abdomen, ie from the navel downwards. By doing so, you will activate the internal organs, especially the intestines.
The benefits of massage for babies
Below is a list of some of the benefits of giving your baby a massage. The:
- Benefits its digestion.
- Contributes to the development of the respiratory system.
- Reduces stress hormone.
- Provides it with a sense of security.
- Helps it sleep longer and deeper.
- Strengthens the endocrine system.
- Improves the development of its neurological system.
- Strengthens its immune system.
Massage for babies has many purposes, ranging from relieving various symptoms to promoting relaxation. Each mom and dad can include their own elements and their own style.
Finally, we would advise you to massage your baby as often as you want, but to always consult your pediatrician to ensure that it is okay.